Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hiccups from Hick

Some of you might remember my reference to one Graeme Hick and his stellar performance at the Wankhede in 1993, a few days ago.

Rightly described by some as a flawed genius, I remember reading about his exploits way back in the late 80s. I think at that time his decision to play for England instead of Zimbabwe was a hotly debated - a very sensible decision in my opinion.

One of the few modern day cricketers to have scored a hundred first-class centuries, Hick never really got going in either form of cricket. There was a time he did well against the Aussies, Windies and Proteas, but apparently Mr. Ray Illingworth thought otherwise and pretty much put paid to his cricketing career.

I guess his problems were also compounded by the emergence of Vaughan, Butcher (and Freddie Flintoff) coupled with the resurgence of Thorpe and Hussain.

If only he got more chances...

No comments: